Laird Careers Careers
Firmware Engineer III (TEMP)
Based in Durham, NC the Software Engineer will be responsible for product firmware. Projects will include design for new product and functionality upgrades, continuous improvements and customer support.Responsibilities
- Produce firmware engineering design documents from product requirements specifications, and effectively communicate those designs to colleagues and managers.
- Develop test plans for firmware/hardware design-proof testing and feasibility studies with regard to cost and schedule for specified firmware designs
- Investigate modes of failure with regard to legacy firmware.
- Provide technical support to Customers and work directly with customers, and internal teams to identify customer requirements, establish design expectations, and agreed upon design, performance, and goals for projects.
- Develop and maintain project timelines to ensure all key deliverables are met.
- Coordinate activities to accomplish prototype and pilot production runs to mature the design to meet customer needs for finished products.
- Coordinate project activities to ensure smooth release of products into manufacturing meeting customer requirements and established timelines.
- Write technical papers on significant findings or inventions that can be used as a sales training aid help promote new products or be published in technical journals.
- Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and scientific developments in fields affecting the firmware and systems sciences.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks to document the creation and development of new inventions. Prepare invention disclosures, and work with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications.
- Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property
- Personal computer skills such as MICROSOFT OFFICE and relational database.
- Excellent communication skills
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups
- Work with management to establish project Milestones and executes project plan with little supervision.
- Ability to work toward defined objectives with little direct supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of new product development processes and work flow
- Detailed knowledge of at least one SBU product line, with general knowledge of related or other product lines.
- Works well in a Team environment and guides the team as the “expert” in a particular field.
- Demonstrated experience in participating on multi-disciplinary product development teams
- Good knowledge of a particular technical area within the job responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or computer science or a closely related field.
- Knowledge of integrated circuit hardware fundamentals and microprocessor functionality.
- Knowledge of PC system architecture.
- 5- 8 years of experience
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.