Laird Careers Careers
Electronics Category Manager
Persons employed in this position are responsible for, but not limited to, development and management of the strategic supply base within the assigned commodity(s) for supply of required materials to ensure total customer satisfaction while ensuring cost, lead time and quality targets are met. Accomplish global responsibilities, initiatives, and goals through personal contribution and leadership of global commodity team members comprised of sourcing engineers, specialist, sr. buyer planners, quality engineers and other functions (at regional or global level).Responsibilities
- Establish long-term relationships with Strategic Suppliers that place Laird in a lead position with its suppliers thereby assuring continuity of supply and best in class quality and pricing to provide advantage to Laird and its customers.
- Guide the selection, development, and management of Strategic Suppliers to meet commodity cost and performance goals, with emphasis placed on ability to identify cost targets for relevant technology and product roadmaps.
- Researches and formulates a 2 to 3 year commodity strategy depending on technology and product roadmap requirements. Monitors current commodity market conditions/trends, technology roadmaps, and identify supply/demand challenges. Develop, implement and communicate tactical and strategic commodity plans internally and to Laird suppliers as appropriate.
- Researches, develops, & leads execution of a sourcing pipeline spanning New Product Introduction (NPI) over 8 rolling quarters.
- Define/lead commodity team priorities and leads strategic roadmaps with regional teams that are aligned to the division / technology / customer and manufacturing strategy / footprint.
- Drives a total cost target roadmap spanning new product and current product (8 Qtrs.) supporting above.
- Monitors product roadmap, industry and market conditions and integrates into the roadmap.
- Drive Cost, Capability, Capacity, Quality and toward overall performance score goals with strategic suppliers.
- Provides the strategic business level management and voice / decision maker to top suppliers in the supply portfolio for Laird (Is the voice of Laird Technologies).
- Establishes, approves, and drives the contract / terms and support such with LT teams & supply base.
- Supports supply escalations when design center or mfg. sites efforts have failed.
- Work with product introduction process to coordinate sourcing strategies and ensure a smooth and timely manufacturing ramp on new programs.
- Provide technical assistance to new product development, product enhancement teams, site and local purchasing teams and plant materials management teams.
- Management of supplier performance ratings.
- Communicate forecast information to critical suppliers regularly.
- Negotiating and administration of purchasing contracts.
- Make or buy policy analysis and decisions.
- Outsourcing strategy/development/management.
- Payment terms negotiation, optimization and management.
- International trading issues/imports/legal, awareness and management.
- Drive productivity gains (cost savings) to improve project and service margins through negotiations and competitive bidding, minimize defects and delays.
- Analytical, problem solving, strategic planning and change management skills.
- Experience in developing long term supply contracts, and familiar with legal aspects of external supplier contract management and enforcement throughout the product life cycle.
- Strong negotiation skills and demonstrated ability / results in total cost reduction with external suppliers.
- Demonstrated ability to define, cultivate, and evolve a supplier portfolio towards continuous improvement in terms of cost, capacity, capability, quality and technology aligned with business needs.
- International business experience and effective at working with peer to Sr. Mgmt level in Americas, European and Asian countries.
- Ability / experience to work in fast paced technology industry demands.
- Exceptional teamwork, communication and project management skills. Demonstrated capability to multiplex many programs and projects across business unit design and manufacturing centers.
- MS Office skills / Strong competence with MS Excel.
- Good organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Complete understanding and experience with MRP Procurement module use, MS Access/Informatica DB use.
- BA / BS degree required in Engineering, Business, International Business.
- MBA or MS Supply Chain Mgmt preferred.
- 5 years of related prior Strategic Sourcing, and/or Category/Commodity management experience.
- CPIM, CPM preferred.
- 5 years Automotive Electronics and Electronics distribution experience
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.