Laird Careers Careers
Prototype Specialist (Thermal Systems)
Based in Durham, NC and with minimal supervision, the Prototype Specialist will be responsible for producing high quality prototypes/samples in a timely manner to ensure total customer satisfaction. Working with Sales, Management, Engineers and Production team members, the Prototype Specialist will create sample products that meet customer requirements, manage materials inventory, design tooling, set up production equipment, develop processes and recommend new equipment to meet objectives.Responsibilities
- Act as project manager responsible for plan, implementation and attainment of milestones to deliver requested samples of products.
- Contributes specialized design knowledge to a multi-disciplinary product design team.
- Evaluates customer needs, incorporates into design of product and provides necessary support to meet product requirements and define process capabilities for manufacturing based on input from customer, sales and engineering teams.
- Applies advanced knowledge of computer aided design systems and design technology to create complex models, patterns, templates, and component detailed drawings for prototype/sample concepts, along with tolerance analysis methods and design techniques that enable the development of high quality prototypes and samples.
- Investigate, establish and implement requirements for equipment, tooling, materials and methods of manufacturing, including facility layout as required. Investigates product performance problems and prepares recommendations to resolve.
- Conduct process capability studies, design experiments, conduct studies and analyze to ensure products meet requirements.
- Assemble components required to build samples/prototypes.
- Create documentation to support products, processes and equipment in accordance with ISO 9001 requirements.
- Quality check parts during the assembly process.
- Works with suppliers to deliver prototypes and tooling for production. Select components and take lead in procurement of necessary equipment for products, which may include selection of vendors.
- Maintain adequate inventory levels of materials necessary for production of required samples and prototypes using real-time inventory management.
- Supports the transition of manufacturing from prototype to volume manufacturing by working closely with selected manufacturing site.
- Must interact effectively and comfortably with both management and staff.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Experience with AutoCAD, ProE, Catia or Solidworks as required.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings.
- Experience with soldering, brazing, and mechanical assemblies.
- Experience with small refrigeration systems, including controller programming and wiring.
- Ability to work well in a Team environment.
- Ability to work with little guidance to meet defined objectives.
- Possesses understanding of engineering process.
- Working knowledge of product lines and broad knowledge of a single technical area.
- Working knowledge of part machining and manufacturing techniques.
- Associate Degree in a technical field or equivalent experience and education.
- 3-5 years engineering experience.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.