Laird Careers Careers
Mechanical Engineer II
Develop new products and/or materials that support the Performance Materials Business Unit. Perform mechanical design for BLS and Precision Metals product lines. Work with customers to design and refine new product needs with focus on precision thin gage sheet metal design for high volume production.Perform performance characteristic testing of new and existing products. Provide technical assistance to customers and the organization. Responsible for providing mechanical engineering expertise to a variety of projects in the development of products, processes or equipment to meet the needs of the Company.Responsibilities
- Select materials of construction to meet mechanical, environmental requirements while embodying the most cost effective solutions possible.
- Ensure designs implement proper technologies while meeting manufacturing, cost, and timing goals.
- Work directly with customers, sales managers, project managers, and internal teams to identify customer requirements, establish design expectations, and meet agreed upon design, performance, and goals for projects.
- Develop and maintain project timelines to ensure all key deliverables are met.
- Coordinate activities to accomplish prototype and pilot production runs to mature the design of components and assemblies and meet customer needs for finished material.
- Coordinate project activities to ensure smooth release of products into manufacturing meeting customer requirements and established timelines.
- Perform risk assessment tests and use results to improve design and reduce risks before reaching manufacturing
- Contribute to the launch of new programs with the various affected global manufacturing facilities.
- Could lead new product development projects from concept through preparation of turnover to manufacturing
- Establish project plans and milestone charts at the inception of new projects, then track and report on progress.
- Write technical papers on significant findings that can be used as a sales training aid, help promote new products or be published in technical journals.
- Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and scientific developments in fields impacting the mechanical sciences.
- Work with other departments in obtaining samples and test data and provide with information to prepare catalogs and other sales literature.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks to document the creation and development of new inventions. Prepare invention disclosures, and work with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications. Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property.
- Personal computer skills such as Solidworks and with precision thin gage sheet metal design
- Experience with design of parts made by progressive stamping dies
- Basic understanding of contact physics and finite element analysis
- Basic knowledge of design for EMI performance
- Possess a working knowledge of Laird product lines
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well in a Team environment
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups
- Ability to work under direct supervision
- Ability to work with clearly defined project steps
- Possess some limited knowledge of new product development processes and work flow
- Possess a working knowledge of some SBU product lines
- Experience in participating on multi-disciplinary product development teams
- Basic knowledge of a particular technical area
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- 2-5 years experience
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.