Laird Careers Careers
Mechanical Engineer (Cooling System Design)
Based in Durham, NC, this role will develop new cooling products and/or materials that support current product lines or helps establish new product lines. The role will perform performance characteristic testing of new and existing products. In addition, it will provide technical assistance to customers and the organization. It will also be responsible for providing mechanical engineering expertise to a variety of projects in the development of products, processes or equipment to meet the needs of the Company.Responsibilities
- Select components, to meet system level performance and cost goals.
- Select materials of construction to meet mechanical, environmental requirements while embodying the most cost effective solutions possible.
- Use 3-D CAD modeling to build design and use simulation tools to model performance while in design stage.
- Ensure designs implement proper technologies while meeting manufacturing, cost, and timing goals.
- Work directly with customers, and internal teams to identify requirements (such as cooling requirements, noise levels, reliability expectations, etc.), establish design expectations, and meet agreed upon design, performance, and goals for projects.
- Develop and maintain project timelines to ensure all key deliverables are met.
- Coordinate activities to accomplish prototype and pilot production runs to mature the design of components and assemblies and meet customer needs for finished material.
- Coordinate project activities to ensure smooth release of products into manufacturing meeting customer requirements and established timelines.
- Perform risk assessment tests and use results to improve design and reduce risks before reaching manufacturing
- Contribute to the launch of new programs with the various affected global manufacturing facilities.
- Could lead new product development projects from concept through preparation of turnover to manufacturing,
- Establish project plans and milestone charts at the inception of new projects, then track and report on progress.
- Write technical papers on significant findings that can be used as a sales training aid, help promote new products or be published in technical journals.
- Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and scientific developments in fields affecting the mechanical sciences.
- Work with departments in obtaining samples and test data and provide with information to prepare catalogs and sales literature.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks to document the creation and development of new inventions. Prepare invention disclosures, and work with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications. Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property.
- 3-D CAD experience such as SolidWorks
- Experience with thermal modeling and simulation
- Knowledge of thermodynamic principles
- Has experience with liquid cooling system (passive & active) design and manufacture.
- Personal computer skills such as MICROSOFT OFFICE and relational database.
- Excellent communication skills
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups
- Work with management to establish project Milestones and executes project plan with little supervision.
- Ability to work toward defined objectives with little direct supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of new product development processes and work flow
- Detailed knowledge of at least one Laird Thermal Systems product line, with general knowledge of other product lines.
- Works well in a Team environment and guides the team as the “expert” in a particular field.
- Demonstrated experience in participating on multi-disciplinary product development teams
- Previous Project management experience (a plus)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- 5-8 years’ experience
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.