Laird Careers Careers
Strategic Business Development Director - Medical
Leads the efforts to penetrate the institutional medical market and identify and capture new strategic market opportunities. Drives the business in the medical market to achieve financial goals. Has responsibility for long-term growth and overall responsibility for meeting long-term growth objectives, on a global basis across Divisions and technologies, within the medical markets. Develops and implements a market growth plan and develops and implements a market-entry strategy.
New strategic opportunities are identified using (1) an outward-looking assessment of technology and market trends, leading to new opportunities, and (2) an inward-looking assessment of intellectual property and existing capabilities that can be applied to new opportunities. The primary work product is a market plan of attack; short, medium, and long-term set of actions to gain share in targeted markets; and management of objective implementation to ensure progress. Works directly with lead business and technical/sales management globally to implement these plans to win business in targeted new markets.Responsibilities
• Development of strategies, objectives, and action plans to support revenue growth in the institutional medical market (infusion pumps, patient monitors, sleep apnea, EKG, etc.)
• Identification of new product opportunities from technology and customer trends and analysis of internal technologies and capabilities to meet identified market growth areas and new market requirements.
• Lead and collaborate with the sales and support team in support of identifying and targeting strategic accounts to meet the defined objectives. This would also include working with the Laird distribution channel and partners and on calling on strategic customers directly.
• Identify, create, and manage strategic partnerships in support of the strategic objectives.
• Creation of objectives for growth directly tied to these technology trends, customer trends, and internal technologies/capabilities, and establishes the strategies and actions required to meet the objectives.
• Development of vertical integration and acquisition strategies supporting the market growth objectives.
• Business case review and financial scenario analysis supporting the strategic market plan.
• Assessment of Company capabilities, technologies, and intellectual property and identification of the market opportunities presented from the assessment.
• Identification of key customers in the selected markets, analysis of customer roadmaps and integration of their requirements to ensure Laird competitively addresses customer needs in the targeted markets.
• Present to key customers in strategic markets and overcome barriers to entry to new suppliers or technologies.
• Work with management team as well as with other corporate partners/affiliates to achieve corporate goals.
• Adheres to quality and safety systems or maintenance of quality and safety standards.
• Experience with wireless products is strongly preferred (WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular)
• Direct experience in the institutional medical market/products.
• Ability to continually work across functional organization lines to translate market trends and opportunities into financially supported business plans.
• Capable of managing diverse teams of entrepreneurs while strategically positioning the business for growth.
• Demonstrated skills as a communicator, both orally and in writing and must possess strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong computer literacy is required.
• Twenty to thirty percent travel may be required in order to meet these business objectives.
• BS in Engineering with an MBA preferred
• 10 to 15 years of experience in disciplines such as engineering, marketing, product/business management, sales, manufacturing, and finance.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.