Under general direction in a research and development environment, the Scientist IV will apply accepted scientific methods and devise new scientific approaches to complex problems encountered and apply specialized scientific knowledge and skills to develop specific solutions. More specifically, design and develop test methodologies for the evaluation of properties of materials used in electronic assemblies in the presence of high frequency through millimeter wave frequency signal irradiation. Supervise and test developmental and commercial materials, and prepare performance reports for internal and external use. Organize and manage test laboratory methods, equipment, and data.
• Plans, schedules, and conducts scientific investigations requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, and adaptation of scientific techniques, procedures, and approaches to support current products and/or new product development.
• Select test methods and equipment to make measurements relevant to material characterization.
• Derive fundamental material properties, such as permeability and permittivity across frequencies of interest.
• Work directly with customers, sales managers, project managers, and internal teams to identify customer requirements, establish design expectations, and meet agreed upon design, performance, and goals for projects.
• Coordinate activities to evaluate prototype devices or constructions, using internal and external test lab resources.
• Coordinate project activities to ensure data to support the release of products meeting customer requirements and timelines.
• Contribute to the launch of new programs with the various affected global manufacturing facilities.
• Write technical papers on significant findings that can be used as a sales training aid, help promote new products or be published in technical journals.
• Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and scientific developments in fields impacting the electrical and electronic sciences.
• Maintain laboratory notebooks to document the creation and development of new inventions. Prepare invention disclosures, and work with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications. Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property.
• Actively participates on multi-disciplinary product development teams and may lead smaller teams with specialized focus.
• Provides guidance and training for laboratory personnel, including Scientists.
• Prepares accurate and concise reports regarding studies performed and assists with the preparation of comprehensive reports including recommendations for new product formulations and procedures.
• Maintains a safe and healthy laboratory environment.
• Knowledge of relevant equipment, such as a vector network analyzer, impedance analyzer, antennas, waveguides, and EM scanners
• Personal computer skills such as MICROSOFT OFFICE and relational database.
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work with management to establish project Milestones and executes with little supervision required.
• Works well in a Team environment and guides the team as the “expert” in a particular field.
• Demonstrated experience in participating on multi-disciplinary product development teams
• Demonstrated understanding of most new product development processes and work flow
• Basic knowledge in most technical areas, expert in one.
Education & Experience Request
• Bachelor’s Degree in Scientific field such as Electrical Engineering, Physics, or Materials Science (Master’s Degree Preferred)
• 8+ years of experience