Laird Careers Careers
PCB Design Specialist
The PCB Design Specialist assists engineers in the design and development of complex and detailed layouts of printed circuit boards. Collaborates in developing state-of-the-art designs of new or modified, high-density, printed circuit boards. Establishes design standards and configurations. Works from preliminary schematics, part lists and basic description of the board function, configuration and arrangement as defined by engineering. May perform the checking of design layouts and detailed drawings.Responsibilities
- Study PCB design trends and processes, and then evaluate and implement those processes that apply to Laird technologies.
- Conduct design feasibility studies to evaluate the PCB design goals for packaging, cost, manufacturing and system performance.
- Perform complex and difficult CAD and CAE tasks requiring extensive skill and knowledge of equipment capabilities, applications techniques and design limitations.
- Understand design standards for Manufacturing and Test.
- Assist lower level PCB Designer in the resolution of critical design problems.
- Train PCB Designers in specialized areas of PCB design.
- Propose PCB design trade-offs to the engineering design team for resolution and implementation.
- Communicate with fabrication vendors for quotations and purchase requisitions.
- Project management: this includes anything not identified above that is necessary to drive the designs to completion and updating the demo board tracking system
- Understands the requirements for a quality design and strives to achieve the requirements before releasing the product to manufacturing.
- Understands the driving PCB technology and process trends and their application to Laird’s designs.
- Coordinate with Engineering, Products Design, Test, EMC Engineering and Manufacturing during the PCB design and fabrication process.
- Resolve PCB design issues with fabrication and manufacturing vendors.
- Participate and provide input into the PCB design specifications and standards with respect to product design, electrical design, manufacturing and various regulatory agency requirements to determine design trade-offs necessary to meet design goals and produce high quality PCB's at the lowest cost and within schedule.
- Demonstrate proficient use and knowledge of eCAD tools, with background in Altium Designer
- Must demonstrate an ability to read schematics
- Must demonstrate a proficient working knowledge of PCB design “best practices” and design standards
- Demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Technical School graduate OR a minimum of 2 years experience performing a substantially similar role
- Minimum 8 years of experience in printed circuit board schematic capture layout for a company that has DoD, ISO, and/or UL certification.
- In addition to above requirement, must also possess a minimum of 2 years related experience as a PCB Designer performing similar industry duties using CAD tools
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird Connectivity does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.