Laird Careers Careers
Firmware Development Engineer II
This position requires detailed understanding of embedded firmware development in C preferably with knowledge of Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy protocol protocols and profiles, an understanding of hardware operation and be experienced in writing firmware within resource constrained environments with an attention to detail, an appreciation for the importance of quality and software standards and an ability to effectively communicate those designs to colleagues and managers through generation of product requirements and design specifications. You'll be working within a small team of experienced engineers developing embedded firmware in C, leveraging the skillset of a global engineering team to assist in the creation of Bluetooth modules and products being involved from the initial client discussions through development, design and implementation, ensuring a robust, fully tested and documented solution for product launch.Responsibilities
• Develop robust, tested and documented embedded C firmware and regression test software.
• Demonstrate attention to detail, with an ability to design and document firmware and generate Software requirements specifications. Effectively communicate those designs to colleagues and managers.
• Develop test plans for firmware/hardware design-proof testing and feasibility studies with regard to cost and schedule for specified firmware designs.
• Provide technical support to customers and work directly with customers, and internal teams to identify and resolve issues.
• Develop, maintain and report on project timelines to ensure all key deliverables are met.
• Coordinate activities to accomplish prototype and pilot production runs to mature the design to meet customer needs for finished products.
• Ensuring smooth release of products into manufacturing and meeting product requirements and established timelines.
• Write application notes and white papers on significant findings or inventions that can be used as a sales training aid and help promote new products or be published in technical journals.
• Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and scientific developments in fields affecting the firmware and systems sciences.
• Assist in patent generation, keeping laboratory notebooks, preparing invention disclosures, and working with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications. Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property, such as obtaining non-disclosure agreements with customers.
• Interact with the global development team to assist in the delivery of other devices and products
• Good embedded C with experience of writing firmware for operating within resource constrained environments
• Understanding of hardware and interfaces - CSR, Nordic Semi, ARM, USB, UART, I2C and SPI.
• Managing build processes and source code maintenance
• Ability to learn new skills, understanding and using existing tools and processes
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work toward defined objectives with little direct supervision
• Bluetooth background (Profiles, specifications, use cases, devices which modules can connect to)
• Bluetooth SIG qualification process
• Windows based test tool application development - C#/C++, .NET
• TCP/IP knowledge of stacks, porting, sockets or testing
• iOS and mobile device application development
• Firmware development using task schedule and RTOS (eg. Free-ARTOS, Zephyr)
• Serial Protocol development
• Eclipse, GCC, Keil, IAR
• Demonstrated experience in participating on global multi-disciplinary product development teams
• Experience in LTE-M, LoRa is an advantage
• Experience with Python is a plus.
• 3+ years of experience developing embedded C firmware
• Degree in Electronics, Software engineering, Computer science or a closely related field.
• Knowledge of hardware operation and microprocessor functionality
• Knowledge of Bluetooth and BLE, iOS / Android application development
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.