Laird Careers Careers
Supervisor - Cost & G/L Accounting - Cleveland
With general direction, the Supervisor, Cost and G/L Accounting supports the senior finance manager in partnering with appropriate functional management at two sites in Ohio and Illinois, promoting and protecting value for Laird, through tasks and analysis relating to budget & reforecast, capex preparation and control, ad hoc analyses and monthly reporting. The Supervisor, Cost and G/L Accounting has specific responsibility for inventory records accuracy/management reporting and accurate/meaningful product costing information for operational partners. The role also supervises one G/L Sr. Accountant who works in the St. Louis area. Some travel is required to the Illinois and St. Louis area sites < 25%.Responsibilities
• Ensures all cost data is up to date and accurate to enable robust management reporting and insightful analysis. This requires ensuring standard cost data in QAD as well as other supporting systems represents ‘actual costs’.
• Identification of cost reduction/control opportunities and the provision of cost management information. This requires the collection of cost data, allocation of costs preparation of reports, and analysis of labor, equipment, depreciation, assembly or other operating expenses, ensuring that established procedures are followed. Maintains key performance measurements and reporting.
• Support design and manufacturing engineers with cost analysis interpreted, to support partner decision making . Provides insights into operational matters and suggests effective responses.
• Prepares monthly journal entries, ensuring shop floor financial controls are adhered to and variance analysis is carried out , taking account of relevant shop floor information.
• Supports the Finance Manager in preparation of budget, variance analysis and reforecast; prepares monthly / ad hoc analysis and reports such as gross margin, project cost, cost analysis, cash flow, and product profitability and variance analyses with root causes. Remotely oversees and coordinates the Sr. Accountant role who performs ad hoc analysis, faciliates and records all journal entries and maintains sound reconciliations of all financial accounts. Promotes training and development of the Sr. Accountant and directs activities to effectively support the financial reporting function.
• Responsible for month end closing including: preparation of journal entries, work order close, variance control, reconciliation of ledger accounts such as inventory and capitalized development costs. Projects and forecasts operational performances.
• Verify calculation of Continuous Improvement Plan savings and analyze financial variances.
• Supports Capex applications, carries out all accounting requirements for assets under construction and tracks Capex spending. Provides Capex forecasts to aid management decisions.
• Oversees physical stocktaking with responsibility to analyse and summarize the result of stock position, including inventory excess and obsolescence provisions. Prepares accurate valuations of period end inventory levels. Supports ongoing cycle count programs and works to achieve high accuracy and reliability in all reporting and tracking systems.
• Supports sales teams by preparing product profitability, profit comparison, margin and cost analysis with identification of where cost improvements may be made.
• A good understanding of the objectives and purpose of each site department, and their requirements in respect of operating performance, cost/CAPEX information, analysis and forecasting.
• Strong cost accounting and financial planning skills, and advanced ERP systems understanding.
• Advanced software skills, especially for Excel, database management and query software.
• Ability to present, communicate and explain financial information to operational staff and management verbally and in writing .
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 5 years experience in accounting/costing or analysis in a manufacturing environment.
Strong preference will be attended to candidates possessing advanced skills in the use of business reporting, database and Office applications.Other
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.