Laird Careers Careers
Firmware Engineer III
Based in Cedarburg, WI; Laird Connectivity is seeking an experienced Firmware Engineer who can develop and implement embedded software for antenna systems. The ideal candidate will have a passion for accepting challenges with demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment. A skilled team player with the ability to deliver against tight deadlines will be key to the success realized.Responsibilities
This position is responsible for creating and maintaining firmware running on antenna devices. The Laird Connectivity product line uses a software driven system to control antenna functions via an industry standard protocol. A motor controller system is used to drive the antenna functions that impact the RF performance of the system. Communication from the controller to the antenna is done over an RS485 Bus using asynchronous HDLC (High‐level Data Link Control). The Antenna Interface Standards Group has defined the protocol used to control the device, AISG v2.0.
- Produce firmware engineering design documents from product requirements specifications, and effectively communicate those designs to colleagues and managers.
- Develop test plans for firmware/hardware design-proof testing and feasibility studies with regard to cost and schedule for specified firmware designs
- Program firmware using for embedded processors using C
- Responsible for all aspects of firmware development, test, and debug
- Provide direct technical support to Customers, and internal teams to identify customer requirements, establish design expectations, and deliver agreed design, performance, and goals for projects
- Hands‐on experience in software/firmware development and testing
- Strong programming skills in C and C++
- Experience with Software Configuration Management tools (preferably git)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in the development of Antenna control software based on industry standard AISG
- Experience and understanding of firmware design tools and languages for embedded processors
- Experience in working with hardware engineering during processor selection and hardware design
- Demonstrate an understanding of hardware design and schematics
- Understanding of testing, coding, and debugging procedures
- Experience with standard protocols such as USB, I2C, RS485 and HDLC
- Previous experience with motor-controlled systems.
- A good knowledge of asynchronous HDLC (High‐Level data Link Control) is desired
- Experience operating within a software development process
Education & Experience Request
- Minimum Bachelors, M.Sc. degree preferred in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- 8 or more years experience
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.