Laird Careers Careers
Sourcing Engineer / Project Sourcing Specialist
Are you ready to step into a fast-moving, inspiring environment; working at the leading edge of technology development? If you answered yes, we may have the right opportunity for you!
Laird Thermal Systems is looking to strengthen the team with a Sourcing Engineer / Project Sourcing Specialist.
As Sourcing Engineer at Laird, you will be responsible for sourcing for dynamic, innovative projects in the forefront of the cooling industry. You will be working in a diverse setting, with experienced and energetic colleagues. Your technical and commercial expertise will be applied to research, develop and improve current or new sources of supply to meet market and customer deliverables. You will support project- and program teams, to reach deliverables in line with corporate/business/regional objectives and also support with defining those objectives.
In Durham, NC you will work together with a diverse, international team of engineers that work closely with our colleagues in Sweden, China and the Czech Republic. We have an open company culture where curiosity and cooperation are the key words. The engineering team is responsible for new product development from concept to final product and you will have a key role as the sourcing responsible in the product development projects.Responsibilities
- Project sourcing for product development projects in line with business objectives (3CQL, flexibility, lead-time, initiatives, etc.).
- Supplier qualification and supplier development.
- Continuous improvement of the performance or capability of the assigned supply base.
- Use learnings and experience to drive best practices and support in defining sourcing and category strategies.
- Make sure that supply-chain and global sourcing strategies are followed but also support the strategy creation.
- Drive or support sourcing of new suppliers of alternate material sources, capability, capacity, or processing methods to meet business requirements, specifications, capacity, and quality and cost objectives, together with other functions within Laird.
- Occasional supplier audits efforts as required.
- Implement supplier changes, monitor their success, and make adjustments as needed.
- Drive or support cost roadmaps to maintain a competitive advantage in our marketplace.
- Participate actively in project or annual material and cost reduction programs, including ownership for supplier negotiations.
- Implement local sourcing policies to meet established needs.
- Secure prototype material.
- Monitor supplier performance and drive improvement activities.
- Proficient financial understanding and communication skills. Knowledge of the relevant industries associated with supply base.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent Project Management skills.
- Understanding and experience with integrated manufacturing and software systems (MRP, ERP etc.).
- Good organizational, time management, and analytical skills.
- Ability to develop sourcing/purchasing management/team/structure processes.
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestic and internationally.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously.
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical engineering. Business acumen and/or MBA preferred.
- Previous sourcing, supplier management/negotiation, cost and process engineering preferred.
- 3 to 5 years of working experience.
About Laird: we are a global company dedicated to creating a world where smart technology enables virtually everything — transforming our way of life. We create value through innovation, reliable fulfillment and speed. Laird in Durham is the U.S. Engineering Center for the Laird Thermal Systems business. The focus is on developing solutions for managing and actively controlling temperature in a great variety of applications, from medical X-ray systems & telecom equipment to beverage coolers & coffee machines, with one of the industry’s broadest product range. The enabling technologies used are thermoelectric heat pumps, compressor systems and ambient cooling systems. Controllers and communication HW & SW are an integrated part of the products.