Laird Careers Careers
Senior Firmware Engineer (Electronics Products)
Based in Grand Blanc, MI, the senior embedded software/firmware engineer will be responsible for design and development of new electronics products such as: wireless phone chargers, telematics, V2X smart antennas and vehicle connectivity devices for the automotive industry. Projects will include design for new product and functionality upgrades, continuous improvements and customer support.Responsibilities
- Responsible for customer technical engagements in the various software domain. Use your knowledge and expertise to develop technical proposals and perform technical reviews.
- Technical leadership on automotive design & development projects with high degrees of complexity.
- Software architecture definition and specification for new wireless charger devices, vehicle connectivity platforms and telematics applications.
- 3rd party/outsourced partner hardware and software technical engagements from software component, operating systems, middleware and applications.
- Design, implementation, integration and testing of software/firmware for new products and support existing projects.
- Coordinate software/firmware project activities to resolve issues and to ensure smooth release of software products into manufacturing, meeting customer requirements and timelines.
- Assist as necessary in software component, subsystem characterization, system characterizations, performance analyses, product qualification & certification, including tools and methodologies.
- Maintain leading-edge technical proficiency and stay abreast of new trends and scientific developments in fields affecting the firmware and systems sciences.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks to document the creation and development of new inventions.
- Prepare invention disclosures, and work with corporate attorneys in researching, writing and filing patent applications.
- Take any necessary steps to protect intellectual property.
- Experience in defining software/firmware requirements, development scope and deliverables from system specifications and system architecture.
- Demonstrated success in bringing complex systems from concept through development, and into production.
- Execute software development projects with minimal supervision to deliver results against milestones and deliverables.
- Strong experience in firmware/software development for embedded systems with expertise in C, C++ programming and scripting languages.
- Recent hands-on experience in circuit and system design (or equivalent) in Telematics, USB, Wireless charging, V2X and SOTA technologies.
- Expert knowledge of design, writing, and troubleshooting device drivers, middleware and applications as it relates to the communication with I2C, SPI, UART, USB, CAN, NFC and PWM signals.
- Experience in using automotive processes, software development tools, such as: GCC compiler tool chain, source code management and static analysis.
- Good knowledge and experience in RTOS and Linux OS, TCP/IP, Automotive Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GNSS & Cellular- 4G LTE is highly desirable.
- Excellent analytical and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science or a closely related field.
- Knowledge of integrated circuit hardware fundamentals and microprocessor functionality.
- 8+ years of experience in software/firmware development for embedded systems for electronics, mobile communications, computer networking and automotive industries.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.