Laird Careers Careers
Prototype & Test Shop Supervisor
Based in Durham, NC the Prototype & Test Shop Supervisor will be responsible for, but not limited to, the build and testing of prototypes for the Engineering group and the transfer of newly developed products to manufacturing facilities, thereby ensuring total customer satisfaction.Responsibilities
- Plan and coordinate day-to-day activities of the area to achieve productivity, quality, safety and cost targets.
- Coordinate scheduling of prototypes with Production Control, Design and Manufacturing Engineering.
- Evaluate personnel requirements based on business and employee needs. Recommend or build equipment, tooling, test equipment and processes to support business objectives.
- Support prototyping activities of Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, and Production Control.
- Evaluate training requirements and request necessary training.
- Create manufacturing documentation to support existing processes and equipment in accordance with ISO 9001 requirements.
- Enforce safety regulations and all company policies.
- Maintain a good standard of housekeeping.
- Strive to continually improve the function and operation of the department.
- Plan and schedule departmental personnel, equipment, and materials to meet defined quality, delivery, and cost standards.
- Train and instruct employees in the performance of their work, assigned jobs, and familiarize employees concerning company and departmental policies and procedures.
- Review processes and recommend improvements to existing standards and equipment to include investigating “State-of-the-Art” equipment that could reduce production cost.
- Adheres to quality and safety systems or maintenance of quality and safety standards.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Personal computer skills such as Microsoft Office and relational database
- Engineering computer skills such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and LabView
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral in English
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups
- Demonstrated understanding of new product development processes and work flow
- Demonstrated experience in participating on multi-disciplinary product development teams
- Demonstrated mastery of a particular technical area within the job responsibility.
- Ability to fully define project scope, deliverables and team requirements as well as execute program plans.
- Ability to lead project teams and deliver results against milestones and deliverables.
- Works well in a Team environment and guides the team as the “expert” in a particular field, capable of leading a sub-team formed around the technical expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering field.
- 2+ years manufacturing experience
- 8+ years of experience (preferred)
- Experience in liquid cooling systems or compressor cooling systems (a plus)
- Previous supervisory experience required.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Laird does not discriminate in hiring or in the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, citizenship or other categories protected by federal, state or local laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.